Pages

Sunday, September 19, 2010

SHOW US YOUR LIFE - Living Rooms


I follow a blog called Kelly's Korner (love her blog by the way, her daughter is too cute!) and she does this great thing called "Show Us Your Life".  I participated in few in the past, and after a break for the summer, she's back at it!  This time, it's house tours and I'm soooooo super excited for it!  One of my favorite things to do is to sneak a peek into other people's homes (okay, that sounds creepy...I'm just really into seeing how other's decorate!!)  This week is Living Rooms and I decided to not only look at the pics, but participate as well.  Behold, the L's living room!!

**Disclaimer: I LOVE interior design and everything that goes along with homes...but I'm not super great at making it happen in my home.  I'm forever looking for better ways to make our house scream "us", but I'm a terrible shopper and am incredibly indecisive.  So, I pretend I'm awesome at it :)**



This is our living room view from the kitchen/dining room.  We live in new privatized military housing, so while the square footage and layout is AMAZING, the tan walls and tan carpet leave much to be desired.  We are allowed to paint, however we are currently in training, so we don't plan on staying longer than a year and a half, so I just don't feel like repainting (which is required) before we move again.  Of course, our couches from our previous home just so happened to match the carpet and walls, so I was left with a pretty bland canvas.  We bought dark wood tables when we moved in to offset the light colored everything and I tried to invest in dark accessories to help tone it down.  Look closely and you'll see that Lily made sure to be involved in the house tour too (along with her favorite frisbee toy)!

This is the view from the front door.  Lily once again needed to be in the picture (she takes after her momma).  As you can see the living room is ridiculously oversized for me, Mr. L and Lily, but it does come in handy for football parties!  I recently got bored and moved the couches around (picture the short loveseat in front of the half wall, that was the layout for a year).  Now, the room feels smaller because I cut part of the room out (see next picture).  We'd love to mount the TV, but once again due to a *hopefully* impending move, we just aren't going to do it.  Also, that large open space in front of the half wall should house a chair with an ottoman...since we don't have the funds right now, we just pretend there is one :)

This is the space directly to the right of the front door.  We chose to purchase a sofa table when we bought the coffee table and it houses some books, decorations and wedding pictures.  You can see the back of the love seat and how I "cut" the room into two parts.  I had NO idea what to do with this area when it was open to the couches and now that I can't see it due to loveseat, I just don't look over there!

A close up of the couch area.  As with all the other windows in our house, we don't have curtains.  I WANT them so badly, but it's just something I didn't get to.  The art on the wall is a black and white picture of the Eiffel Tower (a wedding present from my GLittle!) and the small squares are from Hobby Lobby.  Despite the lightness of the couches (the dark spots are not shadows, they are wear :() they are the most COMFORTABLE couches in the whole world!!!! We spend ALL of our time on these couches (we're huge TV people, so we even eat our dinner on them most of the time!) They were purchased from Ashley's Furniture about 3 years ago and I'm hoping to maybe slipcover them in the future so we can keep the comfiness!

Thanks so much for touring!  Can't wait to see everyone else's!

3 comments:

  1. aw you did a great job! i love hobby lobby!! i really like all the neutral colors you have too! i'm a neutral girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks so much! i just discovered hobby lobby when i moved, if i could, i'd buy everything in the store!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the colors of your furniture. I think you are lacking some greenery, which is cheap they say! I am lacking it too!

    ReplyDelete