Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2011

In Times Like These...

All day I've been watching the footage of the tornados that hit Tuscaloosa and other cities. Tornados scare the dickens out of me (I've never experienced a real one, but had a close call when I was younger) and I just cannot imagine what it would be like to actually see one, experience one or be involved in one. Though Columbus was not hit by the tornado, Tuscaloosa is only an  hour away and I spent many an hour there shopping. Yesterday I saw the Hobby Lobby that I frequented pretty much every other week was leveled. I just can't imagine how that could be...I get mother nature and all that, but to actually understand how all those buildings could just disappear, how all those people could be killed in a matter of minutes, I just can't comprehend it. My heart goes out to the people at the University of Alabama...just students who were looking forward to the end of the school year, ready for finals and ready for summer and in an instant it's all changed. I'll probably be hooked to the TV for the rest of the night.

Speaking of hooked to the TV...I realize there are awful things happening in the country right now, like these tornados. Not to mention the wars, the deaths, etc. happening overseas. Sometimes I just feel like there's never anything GOOD happening for us all to be part of. This is why, despite all the horrific things occurring right now, I will be wrapped up in Royal Wedding bliss tomorrow (as much as I can be considering that we are supposed to be starting our road trip tomorrow morning). I've read a lot of comments on Facebook about how people can't believe that news stations are still talking about it, that it's nonsense, that there are more important things to be concerned about. But what these people don't realize is that sometimes all that news, no matter how importan, no matter how real, is hard to take in. Sometimes people need a reason to smile, a reason to see the good in the world, a reason to escape from all the death and sadness. At least that's how I feel...I feel like it's okay for me to watch the Royal Wedding and be excited for two people in love and enjoy it. It doesn't mean I'm silly or that I don't care about what's going on in the world. It means that I need to see something happy...I WANT to see the excitement and the fun. I don't enjoy having to defend the things I like, but I feel like it's necessary in times like these.

No comments:

Post a Comment